Paynton incorporated as a village on May 2, 1907.
The first settlers of Paynton district were the Cinnamon family. This large family came down the North Saskatchewan River on a barge landing at the only suitable outlet along the bank. This outlet is now known as Cinnamon Landing.
Other pioneers, Mr. Paynter and Mr. McCready, Mr. Grafton and Mr. Fields, arrived in this district after a long trek from Fort Macleod. They were all RCMP Officers and came around the Riel Rebellion of 1885. They homesteaded a farm and were the first to put up a fence which was done with rails. After some time, Mr. McCready died after being thrown from his horse.
Widowed Mrs. McCready left Paynton and moved Winnipeg. She later returned and married Mr. Paynter. He was noted for his kindness to strangers as well as his neighbors. He then retired from the RCMP and spent his remaining days assisting newcomers to the Paynton area.
The area locals wanted to name the settlement "Paynter" but Mr. Peter Paynter would not agree to this. He wanted some of his friends to be included in the name. There was also another place already called "Paynter". They decided to take the last letters from Grafton and create the village known as Paynton. In 1912 Paynton boasted of Dr. McKay, nurse Katie McKay, druggist Alex McKay, Eddie Langlais grocery store, K.E. Mahafey's general store, and Jim Bones general store, two hotels, a bakeshop, bank, poolroom, butcher shop, hall and our own Paynton newspaper. Also there was a lumber yard as well as two churches (Anglican and Presbyterian). Shows came to the hall periodically.
A Post Office built by postmaster John Currie in 1967 and opened January 17, 1968.